This yummy but easy recipe is perfect to bake when you're feeling like a sweet treat without the guilt. Perfect for a yummy snack or for dessert , get baking!
- 350g Whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 150ml of soya, almond or hazelnut milk- plus a little more for coating
- 30ml honey or maple syrup
- 3 tsp of Vanilla Gourmet Drops
- 1 tsp of granulated sugar to sprinkle on top (optional)
- 0% fat greek yoghurt and fresh strawberries (optional for serving)
Before you begin making the shortcake, preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a separate jug or bowl, whisk together the milk, honey and Gourmet Drops. Once well combined, add the wet mixture to the dry and begin mixing until a dough is formed. If the mixture is too wet, add flour until the dough is manageable.
Form the dough into a square around 1 inch thick and cut into 9 equal squares. Place the squares on the baking tray leaving at least 1 inch space between each of them. Coat each square with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake in the oven for around 15 minutes or until the shortcake is firm and slightly browned. We recommend checking every 5 minutes!
When the shortcake is cooked, let it cool and serve warm with 0% fat greek yoghurt and fresh strawberries. Enjoy!